How to Make Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Sandwiches With Oatmeal Cookies
Use parchment paper to keep these thin, crisp oatmeal cookies from sticking to the pans when you bake them. The unadorned cookies make superb ice cream sandwiches, but I highly recommend taking the extra step of glazing the cookies with dark chocolate before assembling the sandwiches.
OATMEAL COOKIES Ingredients:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- ¾ cup regular rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (4 ounces) toasted almonds, chopped
CHOCOLATE GLAZE Ingredients:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pints premium coffee-toffee ice cream, such as Ben & Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch
TO MAKE THE OATMEAL COOKIES:
- In a bowl, with a mixer on medium-high speed (use the paddle attachment if using a standing mixer), beat the butter and sugar together until well blended. (To soften butter, microwave it for a few seconds, until soft but not melting.)
- Beat in the egg and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt; stir or beat them into the butter mixture.
- Stir in the almonds. Cover and refrigerate the dough until thoroughly chilled, at least several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. With lightly floured hands, roll the dough into ¾ inch balls and place them 2 to 3 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are spread out and well browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool completely before removing from the baking sheets.
TO MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Bring about 2 inches water to a boil in a saucepan or the bottom of a double boiler; remove from heat. Combine the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl or in the top of the double boiler.
- Set the bowl over hot water and let stand, stirring occasionally with a flexible spatula, until melted and smooth, about 15 minutes.
- Place the cookies in a single layer on plates or baking sheets. Using a pastry brush or knife, brush or spread the chocolate glaze on the tops of the cookies. Chill until set, about 15 minutes, or let stand at room temperature until completely set about 1½ hours.
- To assemble, soften the ice cream slightly (see softening tips on intro card). Place a large scoop of ice cream (about a cup) on the flat (bottom) side of one cookie; top with another cookie, bottom-side down.
- Press gently to compress the ice cream and bring it out to the edges of the cookies. Repeat the process to fill the remaining cookies with ice cream.
- Serve the sandwiches immediately, or wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 week.
Serving Size: MAKES ABOUT 12 SANDWICHES
That’s All About Homemade Recipe of Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Sandwiches With Oatmeal Cookies. I hope you get more information about all the easy cooking recipes that you can make at home. There is a lot more information about it in Cookcan. So, don’t miss it! If you have some questions or want to add additional information please put the comment below.