Complete Information About Beef Pasties
Are you a beef lover? I dare you will fall in love with these things. Beef pasties, well known as the Cornish pasty, was originally brought by some English immigrants to northern Michigan. They were usually eating it for lunch as they worked in the mines.
The pasty is made by buttermilk pie crust, so it’s flaky and buttery. The filling is a mixture of steak, carrots, potatoes, and onions, seasoned with oregano and rosemary.
You might think it is quite difficult when it comes to making stuffed pastries. But you can get rid such a thought. The pasty is made in a food processor that quite friendly even for a beginner to handling. The stuffing is also fully cooked before fill in into the pie, so you don’t need to worry about whether the meat and vegetable are cooked through.
Without further ado, let’s jump to the recipe!
Beef Pasty or Pasties Recipe That You Can Make at Home
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 12 ounces beef chuck, diced
- 1 ½ cups diced potatoes
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed rosemary
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
First Step Making the crust
- Placed the cubed butter in the freezer
- Stir together flour, sugar and salt into the food processor. Add the freeze butter and continue to stir until the butter is mixed with all ingredients
- While the processor is still running, slowly pour ½ cup of buttermilk and continue to stir until the buttermilk is mixed into the dough. Let the processor to knead the dough until it starts to form. Add up to 2/3 cup buttermilk, if the dough is still not yet to form.
- Lay a plastic sheet and place the dough onto it. Squeezed and press the dough to form a 1-inch thick disk. Place the dough in a plastic bag and let it rest at refrigerator for at least an hour, up to 24 hours.
Prepare the filling
- Melt butter into a medium heat pan and add meat wait until medium done.
- Add potatoes and carrot with enough water until all the meat and vegetable are submerged. Add salt, rosemary, pepper and oregano.
- Once it boils, turn down the heat and simmer for five minutes. Make sure that the meat should be well done
- Place the meats and veggies in a plate separate with its liquid for later use.
- In other pan, melt the remaining butter and add onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour and whisk continuously until it forms a sticky paste and add 1 cup of the reserved broth. Whisking continuously until a thick gravy forms. Remove from heat and mix with meat and vegetable.
- Preheat oven to 400oF
- Divide the dough into 4 to 6 pieces and roll each dough into a circle.
- Beat egg and add milk in a small bowl. Fill in the dough with beef mixture over less than half of the dough. Brush the edge with egg wash and fold it. Make 3 cut slashes in the top and transfer to baking pan.
- Brush pies with egg wash and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve while it cool.
Easy Corned Beef Hash Pasties Recipe
With the same pasties from beef pasties recipe, you can try to make other variations dish. This time it will be corned beef has pasties.
- Pie crust
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 cups cooked corned beef
- 2 potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and cut up potatoes, boil until soft and dice them.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion and cook.
- Add chopped corned beef and potatoes in the pan and evenly spread. Increase the heat to high or medium-high.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Let the mixture of potatoes and beef turn brown.
- Preheat oven to 450oF
- Prepare the pie crust and fill with potatoes and beef mixture, fold and crimp the edges to seal.
- Don’t forget to brush the dough pie with egg wash so that it will turn nicely brown.
- Bake in oven for 18 minutes and serve.
How to Make Puff Pastry Pasties Beef
While the other two recipes above are made with more of a pie crust, it would be nice with the addition of puff pastry in this recipe.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 cup chicken stock
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium heat pot, heat oil and add carrot, onion, potato with 1 tsp salt. Let it cook for about 8 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, and meat. Mix well. Once meat is brown and evenly mixed with the others, push everything to one side of the pot.
- On the empty side add butter and flour, mix until butter is melt and the flour has turned a light brown color. Add in soy sauce, pepper and stock and stir together with the meat mixture. Let it cook for about 5 – 7 minutes and remove it. Allow the mixture to cool before filling the dough.
- Mix 1 egg and 1 tbsp. water for the egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 squares and roll to 8 inch square. Fill with the meat mixture. Brush the edges with egg wash, fold in half and press to seal using a fork.
- Move the pasty to a baking sheet and brush all over with egg wash. Place them in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
That’s All You Need to Know About Beef Pasties (Recipe, Ground Beef, and Corned Beef Hash). I hope you get more information about all the easy cooking recipes that you can make at home. There is a lot more information about it in Cookcan. So, don’t miss it! If you have some questions or want to add additional information please put the comment below.