Recipe of Ice Cream Babas
What could be better than tender, rum-soaked brioche filled with cream? Rum babas filled with ice cream, of course! Try them with Classic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. You can let this dough rise in the refrigerator overnight; if you do, let it stand at room temperature for about 2 hours before shaping the babas and placing them in ramekins. You can make the rum syrup up to a day ahead. Store it in the refrigerator and reheat it gently before dipping the babas. Plan to soak the babas in syrup about 30 minutes before you’re going to serve them.
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm (110°F) water
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1½ to 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
RUM SYRUP Ingredients:
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup rum
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
TO MAKE THE BABAS:
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, egg, and sugar. With the paddle attachment, beat in 1½ cups of the flour and the salt (the dough will be very soft and sticky).
- Beat 1 to 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended, then beat in the butter a few chunks at a time until well incorporated. (To soften butter, microwave it for a few seconds or place it near the preheating oven until soft but not melted.) Continue to mix at medium speed (lower the speed if mixer starts to labor) 4 to 5 minutes longer, adding up to ¼ cup more flour if necessary to make the dough pull from the sides of the bowl. Scrape the dough down if it crawls up the beater; also scrape the bowl sides as necessary to incorporate all ingredients.
- Remove the beater and scrape it clean.
- Scrape the dough onto a well-floured board and knead a few times to bring it together.
- Return it to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place until doubled, 1½ to 2 hours. Press gently to expel the air.
- Lightly butter six 4-ounce ramekins. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide it into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- Place each ball in a ramekin, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise until puffy and nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the ramekins directly on the middle rack of the oven and bake until well browned on top, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the babas from the ramekins and cool completely.
TO MAKE THE RUM SYRUP:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir the water and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in the rum.
Instructions / How to Make:
- At least 30 minutes but no more than an hour before serving, slice the babas in half horizontally.
- Dip the halves one at a time into the warm syrup, turning to saturate all sides and allowing each to soak in the syrup for about 30 seconds.
- Place the halves on a wire rack and let stand until completely cool. To assemble, soften the ice cream slightly (see softening tips on intro card).
- Place the bottom half of each baba on a plate and top with a large scoop of ice cream (about¹/3cup). Cover each with the top half of a baba. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: MAKES 6 BABAS
That’s All About Quick and Simple Recipe of Ice Cream Babas That You Can Make at Home. I hope you get more information about all the easy cooking recipes that you can make at home. There is a lot more information about it in Cookcan. So, don’t miss it! If you have some questions or want to add additional information please put the comment below.