Miso Soup With Pork and Vegetables or Tonjiru and Butajiro Recipe
Also known as butajiro, this is a classic Japanese winter dish and a standard in the repertoire of home cooks. It’s based on a soup called sukii-jiru, which is served at Japan’s ski resorts—quite appropriately, its name translates as “skiing soup.”
- SERVES 4
- PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
- COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
- 6 cups Ichiban Dashi
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 8 ounces pork (your choice of cut), sliced thin and cut into 1-inch squares One 3-inch piece burdock root, peeled, cut into thin slices, and steeped in a bowl of cold water for 10 to 15 minutes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- One 3-inch piece daikon, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into thin slices
- 1 small carrot, quartered lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch slices
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red miso ¼ cup water Seven-Spice Powder (Shichimi Togarashi)
How to Make / Tutorial:
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the dashi, mirin, soy sauce, and sake. Bring to just short of a boil, turn the heat down to medium low, and add the pork. Cook for 1 minute, then add the burdock root, sweet potato, daikon, carrot, onion, scallion, and shiitake. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, prepare the miso. In a small pot, whisk together the miso and water. Place over medium heat and simmer, continuing to whisk, until all the miso is dissolved about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the vegetables are ready, stir the miso mixture into the soup and remove from the heat.
- Serve with the shichimi togarashi on the side, for sprinkling.
- To store the tonjiru, refrigerate in a tightly sealed container. It will keep for 2 to 3 days.
That’s All About Simple Recipe of Miso Soup With Pork and Vegetables or Tonjiru and Butajiro. I hope you get more information about all the easy cooking recipes that you can make at home. There is a lot more information about it in Cookcan. So, don’t miss it! If you have some questions or want to add additional information please put the comment below.